Tuesday 1 April 2008

Brian Goldsmith

If anyone does not also read the Manx Athletics main site, they may be still unaware of the untimely passing of Brian Goldsmith. Reading the various contributions to the Forum and the Tribute Page, I realised how little I really knew Brian but as with many other people, I also felt that I had a special bond with him.

He always had a word of encouragement for me both when in my early racewalking days he was passing me and latterly when I was overtaking him. He was always keen for us to train together, particularly on Friday nights when the N.S.C.is traditionally very quiet, although we didn't quite manage to meet up quite as often as intended.

After the death of my father, he and Sandy were very friendly towards my mother at the Villa Marina dancing as she sought to rebuild her life.

One day, my son Terence had an accident in Peel and Brian and Dougie Allen helped us and nothing was too much trouble.

In his professional life, he was always available to offer any advice with V.A.T. matters which such an advantage when many civil servants make you feel somewhat intimidated.

It still seems incredible that along with many others, I saw him on Good Friday at the 10k in Port Erin and he was in fine form despite the cold weather.

I'm sure that all the walking and general athletics community will miss him greatly and hope our sympathy will offer some comfort to Sandy and his family.

No comments: