Thursday 13 December 2007

Christmas H.S.B.C. Winter Walking League Sunday

This Blog Lark! I promised myself that I would make one posting per week, so as to make sure I had things left to write about and that it would be fresh and leave you wanting more but I seem unable to keep away and I apologise if I'm boring anyone (Though as they say: You know where the 'exit' button is, where the on/off, there's a boat in the morning ad infinitum)

The Christmas Winter walking league fixture at St. Johns, 2004, was the first ever race walk(excluding PW & EtoE) I ever competed in and my wife, Irene and I completed the 10k (three & 1/2 laps of the Village) in a scorching 1 hour and 20 minutes. I always will remember Steve Partington urging us on, 'Come on, it's meant to be hurting!' so knowing how encouraging he is to everyone in all forms of racing, we must have been travelling pretty slowly.

All the walking events are very sociable affairs with the Harriers Racewalking Committee and their helpers usually chipping in, not only to make everyone feel welcome but provide us with a nice hot drink and usually some nibbles. For the Christmas H.S.B.C. W.W.L. fixture, they always try that little bit harder, providing a buffet and a raffle* in St. Johns Football Clubhouse afterwards.

* The Raffle is in aid of the Junior Walkers Fund which helps enable the club to take young race walkers off the Island to compete.

There are a whole host of distances from 1k up to 10k walkers of all abilities from 5 to 85 years old are catered for with all having an equal chance of winning their race due to the handicap system.

The weather forecast is excellent for the time of year, so make sure you turn up on Sunday from 09:30 for a 10:00 start wearing bright colours and something related to Christmas. All raffle prizes with be gratefully accepted.

No comments: