Friday 18 January 2008

Scooting Past the Fwo Feet off the Ground Dudes

Like buses and bad luck, for my blog posts, you had to wait for weeks and then you get three together. Of course if I had any brains, I'd just save them as drafts in times of great inspiration and then drip feed them to you. (Oh dear. That sounds like I think this is more than the rantings of an idiot)I promise that after this epistle, I will not rub your noses in my holiday any more.

Five sessions were all I managed over my three week break but I suppose the best one I did was also the most boring. After a couple of glasses of wine and a large beer, I decided to have a go on the hotel treadmill and settled on a 5km time trial. Somehow I managed to walk 24:40 which is only 30 odd seconds outside my P.B. (PERSONAL BEST) but I don't think I want to make the treadmill more of a regular thing.

Also I did another pace session along the promenade. As I alluded to in an earlier post, for some some illogical reason, I hate being passed by runners. Therefore, Los Pocillos to Los Jameos promenade really is the perfect place for me to walk because they all seemed so slow!

One of the less savoury aspects of my character is that I love overtaking the two feet off the ground dudes. It's silly and not a little smug, I know because I don't know the distance they are running (could be a marathon while I'm just doing 300m reps,) whether or not they have passed their 90th birthday or even just on a warm down having just broken the world 10k record but I get this amazing feeling, almost of schadenfreude (apologies for spelling) delighting in the fact that I'm passing them as opposed to their misery.

On my 5th and final walk, I set my Lanzarote record, passing seven runners and only having two cyclists zoom past me.

Unfortunately, I will not be able to compete in the Isle of Man Cross Country Championships (Details on Forum, Manx Athletics and probably Northern A.C. websites) this weekend but I highly recommend a trip up to Crossags Farm Ramsey as it will be a great opportunity for you to gather some good C.V. training and to have a splash around in the mud and water. Steve Kelly and his team always make you feel very welcome and you definitely will get a cup of tea and biscuits afterwards.

After the embarassment of giving you a bum steer at Glen Lough, this time I rang Steve up and heard it from the horse's mouth.




00:36:00
by Michael
Delete
1 – 1 of 1

No comments: